Monday, October 13, 2008

Too Much Time on my Hands

There just doesn’t seem to be enough time to do everything I want to do these days. I feel overwhelmed at times since there are so many more options than we had just a decade or two ago - internet, cable TV, video games, etc. So I’ve come up with a few ways to save time on the ho hum tasks in order to have more time for fun:

1. Don’t wash your car! It’s just going to get dirty again anyway. Plus the rain can wash it for you. So when I’m working and it starts raining outside I can say I’m multi tasking. This is especially true if you have a beat up old truck held together by duct tape anyway. No matter how much you wash it its still going to be a beat up old truck!

2. Don’t balance your checkbook. Most banks will let you check transactions online. A quick glance once a week should be enough to tell if anyone has messed with your money. A $20 purchase at the bike shop is probably mine but the Gucci store purchase for $350 is probably not.

3. Don’t make the bed. It’s just going to get messed up again. And if you like naps as much as I do that means a few makings of the bed each day. Plus unless you work in the world’s oldest profession or live in an efficiency apartment, not many people are going to see the messy bed anyway.

4. Don’t keep up with fashion. They change fashion every year to make you buy stuff even though you have stuff that is still perfectly good. I’m not in high school so I really don’t care what others think of my fashion sense. Plus I’d rather buy things that fit my figure and make it look its best rather than things that are supposedly “in”. Ask any guy what shoes are in fashion this year. If he knows he is gay and wouldn’t want you anyway. Most straight guys don’t care about fashion and just want to see you without your clothes anyway.

5. Minimize what you buy. More purchases means more stuff to take care of. If you don’t buy it in the first place you wont need to maintain it. Check out thestoryofstuff.org for more information on the time and environmental costs of all our purchases.

These are just some examples of how I save time on the mundane to have more time for what’s important to me. I challenge you to try some or find some of your own short cuts. Life is short so be happy even if your sock drawer isn’t totally organized!

Cat “Efficiency is my middle name” Cathy

No comments: