Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Blue Latitudes - Boldly Going Where Captain Cook has Gone Before



I did something unusual recently….I read a book…from cover to cover no less. I read a lot of books when I was younger but in this technology age with so many things vying for my attention I hadn’t taken the time to just read a full book in many years. I read lots of blogs and other short snippets but it is hard to find time for full novels.

But I recommend making the time for this one called Blue Latitudes- Boldly Going Where Captain Cook has Gone Before”. It is about Captain Cook in case you didn’t figure that out already. If you know who Captain Cook was then you are already one giant step ahead of where I was when I got the book…thanks to my less than adequate Flor a duh education. But I learned a lot and it was an enjoyable read.

Blue Latitudes chronicles Captain Cook’s travels as he ‘discovered’ the world for Europe and the author’s travels as he visited many of the same places Captain Cook went. I liked this book for many reasons from learning a little about history, the sense of adventure involved in being the first to explore unknown territories and seeing how much the world has changed in just over 200 years!

I have to say that the first half of the book about Captain Cook’s first voyage was the most interesting to me and it got a little slow for the remainder. But I still recommend finding a copy and encouraging a friend to read it as well since you will want to discuss the book with someone. If no one is available just send me a note!

Cat “Over the Sea” Cathy

No comments: