Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Twisting For Art


For some reason I can never seem to just sit still and relax. I always seem to have some scheme up my sleeve (or wrapped around me in this case). My current scheme is based on a hobby I’ve had for 15 years. I bought a balloon making kit way back when and I’ve been making balloon animals and hats ever since. It’s a fun little hobby and always a hit at parties.

I was totally content with my limited balloon twisting skills but then someone sent me an email showing balloon dresses and the challenge was on. I’ve tried a few times to make dresses with limited success. It’s quite a commitment of time and balloons to make one. With an event called Nude Nite coming up in Orlando which involves art based on a ‘classy nude’ theme I came up with the crazy idea to submit a balloon dress as art for the show.

Thankfully I was able to enlist the help of a friend with much better balloon skills and we made a sample dress for the show. Surprise… Surprise… Surprise… it was accepted! So now I’m busy setting up the theme for our ‘art work’, practicing my twisting skills and getting my balloon dress model ready.

I’ve always prided myself on my smarts and my athletic skills but I never really thought of myself as an artist or thought I had any artistic skill at all. So the idea of being an artist in a big art show is just amazing to me. It will definitely but fun and challenging and gives me yet another item to add to my bucket list. It just goes to show you never know what life will throw your way. Keep your options open and don’t be afraid to try new things and stretch your abilities…and stretch your balloons too!

Cat “Let’s Twist Again” Cathy

No comments: