Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Puerto Rico - My Heart's Devotion of Let it Sink Back into the Ocean???




I know more people from Puerto Rico than anywhere else in the world so it was surprising to me when I realized I had never visited this island in my many previous journeys. As a birthday present to my boyfriend (and a non-birthday present to myself) I decided to remedy this.

My only thoughts of Puerto Rico are from the movie West Side Story which takes place in my last vacation spot of New York City. So would I love Puerto Rico or feel like Rita and say “let it sink back into the ocean” and “I like to be in America”.

Our trip didn’t start off well since we were relying on our navigation system that took us to some obscure area instead of our hotel. From there it was difficult to find our way around since there were no street signs. So after about an hour of zigging and zagging, phone calls and getting motion sick we finally found the hotel.

After quickly checking in we rushed over to the park for our bioluminescence kayak trip. It was already dark and the voyage looked really adventurous. As soon as we entered the mangrove we could see the water lighting up as the kayak paddles hit it. It was quite impressive but worried me that it might be nuclear fallout from a power plant. Luckily it was just microorganisms that give off light when disturbed. The mangroves lead to a big open bay which was dark and we all spread out and played with our hands and feet in the water. The glowing water (and hands and feet) was quite impressive and it was a beautiful night. Unfortunately it was not really adventurous since it was just an easy kayak trip with hundreds of other ‘bio seekers’.

Since I was tired of driving we ate at a restaurant in the park. This was a horrible idea since it was obviously a touristy area and our meal was nasty, slow AND expensive. A McDonald’s hamburger would have been so much better. And after hearing how good the food in Puerto Rico was for weeks before the trip this was a huge let down.

So day one was not that great and I was leaning toward Rita’s take on the island but it was early in our trip and I had high hopes for the remaining days.

Cat “glowing in a non pregnant sort of way” Cathy

No comments: