Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Kite Runner



Ever see a really good movie that just sticks with you? You think about it for days afterwards and end up doing a Google search to get more facts. I love when this happens but it just doesn’t seem to happen often enough. Maybe I’m just getting older and no longer the ‘target audience’ but I’m tired of movies that are just explosions and T&A. I want more from a movie than that and I found it recently when a coworker loaned me The Kite Runner. I was talking about my horrible attempts to learn kite boarding so he loaned me this movie. Even though the movie has ‘kite’ in the title, I soon found out that it has nothing to do with kite boarding. So even though it didn’t help me improve my kite boarding skills I am still glad he loaned me this movie.

The Kite Runner is about two boys in Afghanistan. It is cute at parts but mostly a little sad and even disturbing. But it makes you think, gives you some insight into another culture and some insight into recent history that until now just seemed like something that happened really far away and not for me to worry about. The movie made me cry and made me wish for a better world.

I won’t give away much of the plot but if you want a slower moving and more intellectual movie then give it a try. It’s on video and even free at your local library. I don’t want to scare you away but I have to let you know you will have to read subtitles unless you understand ‘Afghaneese’ or whatever language they were speaking.

Cat ‘Two Thumbs Up ‘Cathy

No comments: