Thursday, April 9, 2009


The Gift of Giving

I got some great birthday presents this year and it has really put me in a good mood. It’s not that I needed the presents or that they were really expensive it was just that they were so ‘me’ that I felt my friends really liked me, knew me and I was special to them.

I’m the first to be lazy when it comes to gifts. Normally I will just get something quick and easy and be done with it. I guess I do that in the name of efficiency and lack of time. But I’ve had one of those moments of clarity and I now realize how much more important it is to personalize it.

Here’s a list of some of the cool things I got this year and why they were special to me:

A girl friend gave me a yoga necklace. I constantly talk about yoga and do my yoga poses at parties and in my vacation pictures. Now I have a way of showing the world that it is something important to me.
Another girl friend gave me a flowering tea pot. It’s a clear tea pot that you drop a tea ball in and it not only makes tea but also a pretty flower. Tea is one of my simple pleasures and this will make it even more pleasurable.

Yet another girl friend gave me a gift card to a professional clothing store. I’m trying to improve my professional wardrobe so this will be very helpful. But the best part of her gift was she offered to go there shopping with me.

My engineering coworker gave me a circle template. It’s a simple tool but I’ve never had my own and always borrow his. I got a big laugh when I opened it especially since it’s not exactly a ‘party item’. But it was perfect for me and he even included a label saying Rummy’s Template which made it even more special.

My jet ski friend gave me a bottle of Yamalube. It’s the oil we use for our jet skis. This made me laugh but is also very useful and practical.

My bike friend gave me a bicycle tube as part of my gift. This was also an unexpected and funny thing to open.

My skating friend gave me my favorite juice drink that I affectionately refer to as ‘liquid crack’. I always buy some when we have dinner after the skate but he gave me a bottle 4 times bigger! Yummy!

Another friend gave me some balloons to make balloon animals and a magic 8 ball and other toys. I love toys and being able to act like a kid.

Another friend gave me some nice hair and beauty supplies. She’s the one I always go shopping for this stuff with so she knows I like it.

And still others gave me the standard gift cards but to my favorite places – Sports Authority and Publix. I have no doubt I will put these to good use.

All of these gifts were personalized and reflect some of the many sides of Rummy and how my friends know me. Thanks to all of you! Not so much for the gifts but for being my friend and being important in my life.

Cat “I love you guys” Cathy

No comments: