Monday, February 9, 2009

Ouch…What Did I do to Myself This Time?

I played roller hockey for the first time in many years last night and as a result I’m nursing my latest injury today. I was excited to be playing again but nervous since I was the only girl. But I played well and got lots of compliments and the guys seemed to be ok with me being there. It’s an aggressive sport and I got knocked over at one point which was fun. The guy felt bad for hitting me but I was ok. He asked a me a few times if I was ok so I let him know in a joking way the gloves would be coming off later…that’s how the hockey fights start. The falls and hitting didn’t cause my latest injury though. My skate got hit by a fast moving puck. I wasn’t wearing hockey skates so there wasn’t much protection. It hurt but I just kept playing. I guess the adrenaline was going so I didn’t care. By the time I got home though the pain had set in and my foot started to swell. I barely slept from the pain and I had to crawl around my apartment since I could not stand on it.

Is it broken? I don’t think so. It already feels a little better today but I am moving slowly and I did schedule a doctor appointment for tomorrow. I’m going to the same doctor who fixed my broken leg 7 years ago. I wonder if he will offer me a two for one deal.

This latest injury just reminds me of all the abuse my poor body has been through over the years. It started as a young extreme Rummy when I was in elementary school and just liked to jump off of things “for fun”. From there it’s been 20 plus years of mountain biking, skating and other miscellaneous sports injuries. From bumps to bruises to breaks, I’ve had them all. Perhaps it’s time for me to settle down and start knitting or something….nah, I think I still have a few more good years left in me. Even when I decide it’s not worth the pain anymore I will still do sports but just the less aggressive type. I believe it’s important to be active throughout your life. It keeps you in shape, reduces stress and it’s fun!

Hockey was a blast. I have no regrets about playing and assuming my foot isn’t too badly injured I hope to go out again soon. With the proper skates this time of course!

Cat “Stanley Cup“ Cathy

No comments: